New Bridge MAT

  • SearchSearch Site
  • Translate Translate Page
  • Everyone Learning

Adult Safeguarding

There are 10 categories of Adult Safeguarding.

If you, or someone you know, is being hurt, not looked after or taken advantage of, don’t turn your back on abuse, tell someone.

Abuse is when someone does or says something that:

  • Hurts you 
  • Upsets you
  • Makes you feel frightened

You might feel too scared to stop them or tell someone what’s happening.

You might be abused on purpose or the person doing it might not realise it’s wrong or that they are hurting you. But they are both wrong and it should not happen to you.
Adult Safeguarding Booklet

Discriminatory Abuse 

Discriminatory abuse is when you are bullied or treats you unfairly because you are different to them.

  • Your age,
  • Your disability,
  • Your race or religion,
  • Your sexuality – for example if you are gay or lesbian.
  • Your gender – if you are male or female

Domestic Abuse 

Domestic abuse is when your partner (or a family member) hurts you or makes you scared in your own home.

Domestic Abuse – What is it?

Financial or Material Abuse 

When someone takes your money or the things you own without asking your permission. It can also be when you are persuaded to give money to someone when you don’t want to.

Is My Home Being Invaded?(Easy to Read)

Modern Slavery

Modern slavery is where you are forced to work for no money.

Self Neglect

When you do not take care of your personal hygiene, cleaning and tidying your home, hoarding or getting help with your health or social care needs. 

Sexual Abuse 

When someone touches you where you do not want to be touched (on your private parts) or you are made to touch other people on their private parts.

Undressing or having sex when you don’t want to or being made to watch other people doing sexual acts when you don’t want to.

Psychological Abuse

Psychological abuse is when people talk to you or treat you in unkind ways.  For example, shouting, swearing, or teasing you. It can also include ignoring you.

When someone upsets you by calling you names, laughing at you, telling you off or not letting you have things that you need. That person might be a carer or people you think are your friends.

Physical Abuse 

Physical Abuse is when someone physically hurts you.

It might be:

  • Shaking Pushing Hitting Kicking
  • Force feeding
  • Throwing things at someone
  • Giving someone too much medicine

Organisational Abuse 

This is when paid staff in a hospital, care home or from a home care agency do not care for you properly or respect your rights.

This could be because:

  • There are not enough staff on duty most of the time
  • Most of the staff are not trained
  • The rules and routines are made by the manager and staff
  • Your personal things are used by or for someone else
  • Home visits are missed a lot of the time
  • Home visits are rushed or not as long as they should be because staff are too busy.

Neglect or Acts of Omission 

When someone doesn’t support or care for you properly. For example they don’t give you your medication when they should or they don’t help you bath, get dressed or give you your meals when they should.

Mental Capacity

The Mental Capacity Act is about making sure that people have the supporttheyneedtomakeasmany decisions aspossible.

Mental Capacity Act

Mental Health

Worried about your mental health?

How to get treatment and support.

Guide to Good Mental Health

Stress Bucket

Safeguarding Where You Live:

If you live in Oldham




Oldham Multi Agency 

Safeguarding Hub (MASH)

0161 770 7777



If you live in Tameside 





Community Gateway Team
Telephone: 0161 922 4888
8.30am to 5.00pm  Monday to Wednesday
8.30am to 4.30pm  Thursday
8.30am to 4.00pm  Friday 

Emergency help out of normal office hours

Out of Hours Service: 0161 342 2222



If you live in Manchester 







Manchester Contact Centre 
Telephone: 0161 234 5001

(open 24 hours a day, seven days a week) 

Online through: Sign-Video  



If you live in Rochdale 





Who to contact

Telephone: 0300 303 8886 
Out of hours:  0300 303 8875 Out of hours

To report a concern please email:






This is an independent charity that works with police forces throughout the UK that people can use to pass on information about a crime anonymously.

  • call 0800 555 111 (24 hours a day and 7 days a week)
  • anonymous online reporting form
  • you don’t have to give them your name or any personal information; calls are not recorded and cannot be traced.